Tuesday 3 February 2015

Bison Coffee, Heslington Rd, York

Coffee House: Bison Coffee, Heslington Rd, York

Drink: Latte

Cake: White Choc Fudge Brownie

y
While I remember - apparently this year's YO1 festival is canceled as it clashes with the Tour de Yorkshire doobrie. Pity, was hoping we might have been able to play the Bison Coffee stage. Maybe next year

So on the way to Bison Coffee (bumped into Vinnie and had a chat) I picked up Ann's gloves that we'd left at 1331 on Sunday night (notice how I've done the collective responsibility thing there. What a guy :-)) 

Got me thinking about memory - there's the 'forgot to do something' type e.g. gloves in restaurant,  which usually just means there's other things distracting you. 

Then there's the 'mental block' sort. I came home via Morrisons where I picked up some tins of steam puddings. Do you know it's almost impossible to buy steam puddings in tins anymore. They're all the small ones in plastic pots. Why aren't they talking about this sort of stuff in Parliament rather than wasting time chatting about education, health and stuff. Anyway, I digress (but haven't lost the thread) I arrived home and thought I'd have a steam pudding for tea later (I'm allowed to say tea rather than dinner when I'm not with Ann) Decided to have one of the smaller ones I'd bought previously, the plastic pot kind. Looked in the cupboard. Nothing. Looked again, nothing. Wracked my memory of where I could have put them. Distinctly remember buying two packs and some pots of custard. Nowhere to be seen. Then tried to recall which shop I'd bought them from and whether I had or just imagined it. No, I was pretty confident that I had bought them. So when did I? After another root through my brain I came up with the answer. I'd bought them a few hours earlier from Tesco after dropping Ann off at work and left them in the back of the car. Doh!

Then there's the 'false memory' kind. I suppose, did I buy steam pudding could have been a false memory but would have been a particularly weird and pretty unspectacular one. One I think I may have relates to Niagara Falls. I first went to the States (notice how people talk of the 'US' now? Well it'll always be the States to me) in 1979 I flew into Chicago (I think, Michigan certainly) and stayed for a week or so at a girl's farm who'd I'd met in Israel the previous year. We then drove west to Washington State, down the coast, across to Vegas, the Grand Canyon (I was totally unimpressed with it at the time. 'Yes it's big but so what'. Ah, the arrogance of Youth) and said goodbye in Denver (there's a whole blog/book in this trip but I'll park it here) 

Anyway. I have this memory of going to Niagara Falls, feeling the mist on my face etc. and the only time I could have gone would have been that trip but I can't see how I could have as it's in the opposite direction to our route. So I think it's a dream from the past that ended up being a memory. It might have happened but I can't verify it either way as I've never been in touch with Sue Doty since (I can remember her name which always impresses me) 

So memory. An amazing thing. Without it we'd have to tattoo our bodies with messages ala Memento which would be tiresome. Never seen the attraction in tattoos, was mad keen to have an earring but stopped there with bodily mutilation. At the time, 1974, there was me, Keith Richards and David Essex with earrings. Now every old bugger has one. And they all go to Glastonbury.....

Not overly keen on fudge brownies I've decided. Now brownie brownies I like. Used to quite like the more exotic sort but have put all those vices behind me, though I quite fancy starting smoking again if/when we make it to France.

Au revoir

No comments:

Post a Comment